The latest episode of the Yacht Racing Podcast sees NYYC American Magic skipper Terry Hutchinson make a return appearance with an update on the US America’s Cup syndicate’s response to the Covid-19 global pandemic.
Speaking to Yacht Racing Life website editor and podcast host Justin Chisholm via Zoom from his home in Annapolis, Maryland on Memorial Day in the United States Hutchinson gives a characteristically frank and open assessment of the American campaign’s current status.
During the fast paced 50-minute conversation the pair cover off a wide range of topics, including:
• the support he received from team’s three principals – Doug Devos, Hap Fauth and Roger Penske – when formulating the team’s response to the pandemic
• the impact on the team of the cancellation of the Italian and American America’s Cup World Series events
• what Hutchinson thinks of the four teams’ differing first generation AC75 designs – and which one of his rivals’ boats he likes the look of most
• how the American Magic sailors have tried to offset lost on the water time with in-house two boat sparring on the simulator and the ensuing banter between him and principal helmsman Dean Barker
• why Hutchinson says his own role on the boat as tactician/strategist is not guaranteed
• some fascinating insight into what racing the revolutionary AC75s might actually be like
• latest details of the team’s second AC75 and why Hutchinson is yet to see it in the flesh
• the timetable for the team’s ongoing move to Auckland and their action plan for once they get there
• whether the lack of ACWS racing prior to the Challenger Selection Series might well be to the advantage of the three Challengers?
All this and much more….
Listen now using the player above or search for ‘The Yacht Racing Podcast’ on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and most other major podcasting platforms.