Justin Chisholm’s guest on the first episode of the March 2021 series of The Yacht Racing Podcast EXTRA is renowned British yachtswoman Dee Caffari.
With a Barcelona World Race, a Vendee Globe and two Volvo Ocean Race campaigns to her name Dee Caffari is a true legend of the professional ocean racing world. So far she has sailed and raced around the world six times – twice against the prevailing winds and currents (one of them solo) – and is the only woman to sail non-stop around the world three times.
Having discovered her love of sailing later than most professional sailors she has an unusual and fascinating backstory and is a passionate advocate for promoting opportunities for women the still largely male-dominated world of professional yacht racing.
Topics discussed during the interview include:
- How she made the transition from school teacher to professional ocean racing skipper
- How she became the only female skipper on the Global Challenge around the world race
- What it is actually like to sail solo around the world against the prevailing wind and currents
- Her experiences in the Volvo Ocean Race with Team SCA and Turn the Tide on Plastic
- Her thoughts on the recent Vendee Globe race
- Her plans for the future – including her new found love for double-handed racing