On the latest episode of the Yacht Racing Podcast host Justin Chisholm gets an update on what’s been going on behind the scenes at The Ocean Race – the fully crewed around the world race formerly called the Volvo Ocean Race – from Ocean Race executive director Richard Mason; IMOCA 60 class president Antoine Mermod; and race director at the Ocean Race Phil Lawrence, all speaking from the race’s headquarters in Alicante.
Amongst the many topics they discuss are:
– why rumours circulating recently of a 12-month delay to the next edition of the race are unfounded
– what the course for the next race might be and when it will be announced
– how many teams the race organisers are hoping for in both the VO65 and IMOCA 60 fleets
– what sort of budgets are being searched for by the IMOCA 60 teams
– the possibility of an Around Europe Race in 2023 to mark the-around-the-world race’s 50th anniversary
All that and very much more…
You can listen to Episode 6 using the player below or searching for ‘The Yacht Racing Podcast’ at your favourite podcast host: iTunes/Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever else you get your podcasts.